Teaching Practicum Cohort
2020 Theme: Emotional Intelligence in Teaching and Learning
In this practicum, TAs will join a 15-20 person cohort to participate in a series of four interactive workshops, one workshop per week. “Emotional Intelligence in Teaching and Learning” offers a supportive and constructive environment for graduate students to explore how to develop their unique teacher identities through reflective exercises. The workshop series also offers an opportunity for participants to build connections with students in other programs and disciplinary areas. Through collaborative activities participants will work on developing their active listening skills, connecting to their emotions, managing anxiety and feeling like an imposter in the classroom, and practicing flexibility to respond to in-class situations. Throughout the practicum, there will be guided reflections on teacher identity and development. In order to get credit for the practicum requirement of the AUTP certificate program, participants must attend all four workshops. We will strive towards creating an accessible space where everyone feels comfortable participating/experimenting/ discovering new elements of their teaching persona.
4 Workshops (2 hours each)*:
Introduction/Community Building – February 23rd, 10am – 12pm
Mindfulness and Active Listening– March 2nd, 10am – 12pm
Emotional Intelligence and Imposter Phenomenon – March 9th, 10am – 12pm
Flexibility in the Classroom/Final Reflection –March 23rd, 10am – 12pm
*Participants must attend all four workshops to receive credit for the practicum component of the ATUP certificate.
- Form a safe and supportive community of learners that can be drawn upon for continued support and discussion.
- Practice a variety of mindfulness exercises and techniques and identify a series of exercises for continued practice and development.
- Foster comfort and confidence in the classroom by identifying strategies to combat anxiety and feeling like an imposter when teaching
- Experiment with playfulness and creativity in the classroom.
- Reflect on your identity as a teacher and challenge stereotypes and assumptions about what it means to be a good teacher.
Please register for this practicum in the Certificate Portions area of the AUTP certificate in EVE.