Teaching Fundamentals Certificate
This basic or introductory-level certificate is open to currently registered students at the University of Toronto who are interested in improving their teaching skills, and who are currently working as teaching assistants, or who soon will be. You do not have to hold a teaching appointment at the time of registration in order to register for this certificate. Workshops and/or events are offered at the UTM, UTSC, and St. George campuses.
Requirement: 6 TATP-sponsored workshops (3 required, please see information below), written reflection (assesses the overall value and impact of the TF certificate program)
Required Workshops: Of the 6 TATP-sponsored workshops, participants must attend:
• One workshop from the Equity and Access in Teaching and Learning category
• One workshop from the Educational Technologies and Teaching with Technology category
• One workshop from the Reflective Practice and Teaching Skills for Academic and Non-Academic Careers category
Time Commitment: 2-hours per workshop = 12 hours (please note that a small number of workshops are 2.5 or 3 hours in length which may increase the time commitment for some participants)
Deadline: As of September 2023, all deadlines for certificates have been removed.
Workshops are identified as belonging to one of five groups:
- Equity and Access in Teaching and Learning
- Educational Technologies and Teaching with Technology
- Reflective Practice and Teaching Skills for Academic and Non-Academic Careers
- Teaching Dossiers and Statements of Teaching Philosophy
- Open Theme
A list of the TATP workshops currently being offered are available on the Workshops and Events page. Please note that the TATP runs three workshop series throughout the year: Fall term, Winter term, and Summer Session I. Detailed workshop category descriptions are available.
The Teaching Fundamentals Certificate provides graduate students and undergraduate students with the opportunity to interact with fellow TAs and experienced faculty members and staff to learn more about teaching and learning at the postsecondary level. The Fundamentals certificate is meant to introduce certificate program participants to effective teaching strategies and techniques and to broaden their understanding of how undergraduate students learn. Through participation in their choice of 6 (six) interactive workshops, Teaching Fundamentals participants can:
- identify survival skills for working with students for the first time
- identify and practise grading strategies
- identify and practise techniques for facilitating in-class discussions
- practise strategies for handling difficult teaching situations
- develop time management skills for juggling teaching duties and thesis work
- identify and experience accessible and inclusive teaching practices
- develop their own approach to teaching through seeing how others teach
- discuss common TA concerns with fellow TAs and faculty members from across all three campuses
The Teaching Fundamentals Certificate is ideal for those doctoral students who are interested in pursuing academic teaching as a career but who do not have time to complete the AUTP Certificate. It is also appropriate for undergraduate and master’s students who will be working as TAs for the first time and would like additional professional development to help prepare them for their teaching duties.
(NB: Link will open the TATP’s new registration system. You must register as a user first. Once your user profile is created you can register for a certificate program, workshop or event.)