Selection Criteria (TA)
With the understanding that TAs in different disciplines will be required to perform a variety of duties and fulfill a wide range of responsibilities, candidates must demonstrate sustained and ongoing excellence in their teaching, and must exhibit at least four of the following:
- Organizational skills: ability to effectively organize, structure and facilitate tutorials, labs or classes.
- Knowledge of the subject area: demonstrates depth of knowledge in and commitment to their field.
- Communication: clarity of examples and explanations; effective communication of expectations; relation of current issues/research to student experiences and concrete applications.
- Quality of feedback: provides effective feedback and mentoring to students.
- Student engagement: ability to encourage a wide range of participation and engagement from all students.
- Innovative teaching: uses creative and/or new teaching strategies; develops and/or uses effective materials/tools (e.g., handouts, demos, assignments; etc.).