Nomination Process (BIPOC TA)
How to be nominated:
If you are a Teaching Assistant who would like to share information about this award, please let students, colleagues, your department, and supervising instructors know how they can support your nomination. Again, as a self nominee, you can inform your former students that the award exists and direct them to the appropriate Nomination Form. You may ask students or faculty directly to support your nomination for the award.
A nomination file is opened for a candidate when the following criteria are fulfilled:
- Self-Nomination Form: Fill out and submit the form.
- Nominations: Nomination letters from students, supervising instructor, faculty and/or colleagues that directly speak to the selection criteria. (NOTE: Those supporting your nomination for the award can be directed to the appropriate nomination form.)
– At least 2 (two) nominations from former students of the TA, submitted using the Student Nomination Form.
– At least 1 (one) letter from a supervising instructor of the TA with knowledge of their teaching activities, submitted using the Faculty Nomination Form. (Supervising Instructor could be a faculty member, course instructor, school or program director, or faculty/department chair, who is responsible for supervising the TA role.)
– Additional letters of support can come from colleagues (staff or faculty) who have directly observed the teaching of the TA. These can be submitted using the Faculty Nomination Form.
- Statement of Teaching Philosophy (STP): The STP should demonstrate evidence of reflection on one’s practices and highlight ways in which the nominee addresses the award criteria. (The STP is to be submitted with the Self-Nomination Form.)For additional supports related to completing the STP, please explore the 45-minute asynchronous module on “Developing Your Statement of Teaching Philosophy” (available through self-enrolment links to you as a member of the U of T community or as an open education resource). The TATP also has a resource on Preparing the Teaching Dossier and offers a workshop on teaching dossiers and an STP clinic (please consult the Workshops & Events page for details).
Please note that shortlisted candidates will be required to provide additional documentation to support their application.
Nominations Open: December 16, 2022
Nominations Close: March 3, 2023 at end of day (5:00p.m.)
Short List Announced: March 22, 2023
Supporting Material Due: April 12, 2023 at end of day (5:00p.m.)
Winners Announced: April 28, 2023