Job Training Days
Offered on each campus, these are full days or half days of job training that include:
- 2 hours of general pedagogical training for new Teaching Assistants – topics covered include important policies at U of T related to teaching, key instructional techniques, general classroom management strategies, effective feedback and effective grading, time management – both personal and in the classroom, communicating with students, effective student support, working with your Course Supervisor, etc.
- 1-hour concurrent sessions on the following topics:
- Discussion-Based Tutorials
- Review and Q&A Tutorials
- Skill Development Tutorials (not all Skill Development workshops will be available – which sessions get offered will depend on the needs of students who register)
- Adapting Teaching Techniques (ATT) (modifying teaching activities and approaches to suit the number of students in a given tutorial)
- Grading (a more in-depth session for new TAs who have been appointed as grading-only Teaching Assistants and therefore will not be leading tutorials)
Each Training Day will have a broad disciplinary focus – there will be a Training Day for TAs in the Sciences and Engineering, and a Training Day for TAs in the Humanities and Social Sciences. At UTM and UTSC, we may need to combine disciplines in one Training Day – should this occur, TATP staff from a range of disciplines will be assigned to facilitate.
Some departments may allow TAs to use these sessions as their paid mandatory training (per the collective agreement between CUPE 3902 and the University of Toronto). If this is the case, please review the Information for CUPE 3902 Unit 1 Teaching Assistants carefully. The CUPE 3902 Training Request Form is available on the CUPE website. TATP staff members cannot sign a blank form. The hiring department must fill out and sign the form first. If you have any questions, please email@example.com.
Please note: All sessions included in a TATP Job Training Day are job training, and therefore they CANNOT count as a credit toward a TATP certificate.
- May 122017
First Contract Training: All Disciplines
Blackburn Room, Robarts Library, 4th Floor